Sunday, October 18, 2009

Old Work: Township Expansion Poster

Because this is a fairly new blog, I will occasionally re-post entries from my old Livejournal

This is a 2 colour silkscreen poster I made in 2006 for my friends in Township Expansion and The Adam Brown.





Click below to learn more about the process.


When I was living in Toronto as a student, I tried to silkscreen most of my posters on my own to save money. I lived in a tiny student dorm and this is how I set up my darkroom:


This setup was made using a $15 light fixture from Ikea and $6 photoflood bulb from Downtown Camera.

So here are some brainstorming doodles from my sketchbook.





To prepare the screens, I had to print out my color separations onto Xerox papers and grease them with vegetable oil. Most people do it on vellum, transparency sheets, rubylith, etc. I chose the paper + veggie oil route because it was the cheapest way to do it.







Then I exposed the film onto a photo emulsion coated screen.


Result.


Here's my printing table. (never use Ikea tables for screenprinting. they suck)


Here's the first layer.




And here's the second layer.





The end!

0 comments: