
I designed my first gig poster in 2002 when I was 2nd year student at Dawson College. I had to take a printmaking course back then and believe it not, I almost failed the course. There wasn't enough time to learn it and there was always a lack of studio time... ok and I may have skipped a class or two. I failed my final project and the teacher gave me another week redo it. Luckily, I passed and was not kicked out of the program.
During the process of re-doing my assignment, I began to really appreciate this form of printing. I wanted to continue doing it so I started looking online for screenprinting classes. I posted about it on a music message board called AntiAntenna and a girl replied to me. She said I could learn how to screenprint by interning with her and her boyfriend. So I spent the next few months learning how to screenprint atSeripop. While I was there, I found a pile of letrasets under their photocopy machine. I had no idea what they were and so she gave me a few sheets to play around with. I started playing around with the letters and use them to make my first gig poster some of the bands from that very same message board. And then I got them printed at the studio. I think I printed about 30 posters...I don't remember. But I remember I was very upset at the show when I found out I misspelled the band's name. It was written Kitchen & Fire instead of Kitchen Fire. Anyways, i gave away all the prints...and today I wish I had kept a copy. Oh wells.....
0 comments:
Post a Comment